Can you believe summer's nearly over???With school starting next week, here's a heads-up on what's in the works for September:
COFFEE'S ON DAISY! Bowmore School Council is pleased to be hosting a "Welcome Back" coffee on the first day of school, Tuesday, September 6th, 8 a.m. - 8:45 a.m. in the school yard. We'll be serving up coffee, juice and light snacks, courtesy of our soon-to-be neighbourhood coffee shop, Lazy Daisy's Cafe (opening soon at the corner of Coxwell & Gerrard). Many thanks to Bowmore mom and entrepreneur Dawn Chapman for her generosity!
- First day back to school: Tuesday, September 6 (But JK/SK entry days are staggered- check with the school about the day your kindergarten child starts if you aren't sure).
- Remember that school supervision starts in the schoolyard at 8:30 a.m. each morning, and ends at 3:25 p.m.
- Forget your child's teacher's name? Look up teacher/classroom assignments here (download the June newsletter and scroll to page 2)
Make that lunch litter-free please!Bowmore students, teachers and parents worked hard last year to earn our school an "Eco-Gold" certification!
School lunches are a major source of waste in Ontario with the average student’s lunch generating a total of 30 kilograms of waste per school year. This means that an average of 8,500 kilograms (18,700 lbs) of waste is trucked to landfill from each school every year- that's the weight of two full-grown elephants!
Please help by ensuring that your child brings a litter-free lunch to school each day. Avoid ziplock bags and foil-wrapped individual packaging: Reusable containers, washable cloth napkins, refillable bottles and simple metal cutlery are healthier & cheaper over time. Save money, and the planet too!
Click here for more tips on how to reduce waste in your child's lunch.
"Mom needs a little space!"
Starring Joan Cusack and Seth Green
Watch a video preview
WHEN: Friday, Sept 23 - 6 pm doors open / 6:30 pm movie starts
WHERE: Bowmore Junior Gym (use the side entrance, under "the bridge")
SUGGESTED DONATION: $2
Pizza, snacks and drinks will be sold for a modest cost. Remember to bring camp chairs!
A fun & inexpensive family night out that supports enriched learning experiences at Bowmore.
New vaccine schedule for Ontario childrenThis summer, three new vaccines were added to the schedule of publicly-funded vaccines available in Ontario:
- Rotavirus oral vaccine for infants 6-24 weeks of age
- Second dose of chickenpox vaccine for children 1-11 years of age
- Whooping cough booster vaccine for adults 19-64 years of age
If you have any doubt about your child's immunizations, please consult with your doctor.
Ontario's new immunization schedule, updated this month, is available here.